Thursday 25 April 2013

Parallell Universe

Parallel Universe

In this Unit I would like to improve my Photoshop and Lightroom skills. I would also like to achieve an outcome which involves manipulation, editing techniques and post processes, which  involves a strong element of digital photography.

Here are some of my initial experiments, using a picture of the shard in London. The image I am most pleased with from this selection is the first image below. This image involved flipping and changing sections of the original image. I then used the Clone Tool in Photoshop to clone a part of the sky and place it over the center. Furthermore I am pleased with the really strong contrast which subtly brings out the clarity in the image and aids in separating the horizon of buildings from the cloudy sky. This is also reflected in the ball of cloud in the center, breaking the strong lines and using juxtaposing textures.






 

These images below represent the steps I took to select, refine and move the leaf from the image to the right. The first two images show the leaf after I had selected and moved it compared to the original photo.

Negative Space

This image below is an edit I made from two images, The first was the image was of a building, I used the magic wand tool to select the areas I wanted, then used the stroke tool to create an outline on a new layer. I then transferred this onto a separate canvas. The second image was of some clouds, I had saturated and edited the curves and contrast to create some interesting colors. I then used the elliptical selection tool to select a circle. I then used the select > Inverse tool and used a mask of solid color or white to fill in the outside. This was then flattened and dragged onto the other canvas with the outline on.

 

This second image is a different outcome. With this image I decided to make a banner print, to suggest more of an urban landscape. 








This is how to create an outline of an image as I have done in the images above.



Firstly select the part of your image using the magic selection tool.
Before creating the outline itself, remember to create a new layer.








Go to Edit > Stroke
























Choose the thickness of the stroke you wish to apply and click okay.
You can move the outline onto a fresh canvas.

















Ideas Generation

Locations - Beach, Urban Landscapes, Interiors, minimal seascapes
Long exposures, night, star trails, flash blur
Mirrors, reflections, mystery and surrealism, Minimalism
Clean and strong lines, negative space mixed with powerful imagery and color
Sky, clouds, day + night

This image below is taken by Mauren Brodbeck. To edit this image, Brodbeck has selected an element of the image and then completely blocked it out using masks. 

This juxtaposing negative space really stands out and creates an incredible atmosphere which suggests an unworldly environment. Furthermore, Brodbeck often uses interesting times of the day to add another dimension to her images, for example, this image uses a stormy twilight sky, mixed with street light. This supports the atmospheric quality of the image and suggests much more contradiction between negative space and image. I also believe that the loss of dimension in the negative space is incredibly haunting. By mixing a three dimensional environment with a two dimensional block of color, Brodbeck manages to to completely skew and change our perspective an otherwise quite ordinary urban landscape.

Below are some further experiments of mine.






Further Experimentation





































No comments:

Post a Comment